Monday, September 21, 2009

Passive-Agressive Developer Personalities - which one are you?

If you don't follow Ted Zuiba's blog, I recommend you check it out.  I love his sardonic sense of humor.  He can be pretty brutal with this commentary.  But, really, that's what's great about it.  Also, he's got some pretty cogent advice.

As per usual, there's some interesting work afoot on the Agile Web Operations blog.  The latest is a great one on development team motivation.  Or rather, the supposition that development teams don't need motivation (they're already motivated when they come onboard, that's why they accepted the job offer).  We simply need to actively stop de-motivating them.  You might say this is just arguing semantics, but I think the difference in perspective is illuminating on many fronts.  At its heart is the notion of developer as thinking individual who takes an active interesting in learning new things and advancing their capabilities.  Developers who don't treat training as a 'let me just sit back and let the teacher wash this know-how over me' but rather 'this is a chance for me to learn - learning is the active verb here more so than teaching'.  I think you want to weed the passive 'teach-me' types out of the organization in favor of the 'let-me-get-in-there-and-learn' sort.

But that's just me.  If you disagree, perhaps we can start a developer exchange program.

No comments:

Post a Comment